Are you Ready? An Information Session about the Music Modernization Act
December 17 4:00 | Online Only via Zoom
Are You Ready?
The Music Modernization Act is bringing big changes to the music industry January 2021. Learn about royalties you might not have been collecting and how to register your works so you will collect from various revenue streams.
Presented by Alexandria Mueller, Attorney, Hellmuth & Johnson
We will cover:
- Music copyright basics
- How copyright law was changed by the Music Modernization Act
- What are mechanical licenses?
- Who is entitled to royalties from mechanical licenses?
- Who collects royalties from mechanical licenses? How it worked before the Music Modernization Act and how it will work now.
- The new Mechanical Licensing Collective (MLC): what it is, what it collects, who should join, how to join
- Other types of royalties and who collects them
Who should attend this workshop?
Songwriters, particularly relevant to songwriters who control their own publishing and release music on streaming services
This workshop is free to attend, but registration is required. Register Here
Alexandria (Alex) Mueller is a media composer and entertainment attorney. She is the Chair of the Sports, Art and Entertainment Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association and author of a chapter on music transactions in the Intellectual Property Deskbook for Business Lawyers, published by the American Bar Association. Alex works with businesses of all sizes in a variety of industries including filmmakers, event vendors, musicians and performing ensembles, composers, artists, authors and game and software developers to manage their rights.